One Handed Snacks for Busy People October 20 2017
I just read a great post about snacks you can eat with one hand. While it was intended as for new mothers with little or no time on their hands, I feel it can also be applied to those of us who are generally busy. I have found that being organized and planning ahead makes everything better especially when it comes to meal planning and putting healthy food in your mouth. All of these suggestions are for items that can be prepared ahead of time. Here is a list of some of my favorite one-handed snacks (or meals as it may be!).
- Mini Muffins: Take your favorite muffin recipe and bake them in miniature sizes. Don’t forget to adjust the baking time since they are smaller they won’t take as long to bake. These also make great snacks for kids.
- Smoothies: Mix veggies, fruits, yogurt, and milk in a blender and puree. This is perfect for using any fruits or vegetables that you don’t think you’ll eat before they go bad. Some combinations turn out better than others but you can drink it through a straw quickly and get lots of energy.
- Trail Mix: This is one of my very favorites. I typically mix almonds, raisins and chocolate chips but feel free to add other nuts and dried fruits.
- Hard Boiled Eggs: Eggs are an excellent source of protein and you don’t always have time to whip up a fancy omelet. Cooking them hardboiled in advance makes the perfect breakfast, lunch, or snack. I started eating hard boiled eggs when I tried the Paleo Diet many years ago and it is one of the habits that has stuck.
- Pre-cut vegetables, fruit or cheese: pair these with a healthy dip like hummus or eat on their own. As a chef, I used to think it was silly to cut something up ahead of eating it but when you’re really hungry and barely have a hand to eat with it can be a lifesaver.
Let me know if you have any other tips for snacks that are easy to eat on the go.